seanadams;214132 Wrote:
> Which DVR is it by the way? Are the files plain old mpegs or transport
> streams, or are they in some kind of special container format? If the
> latter, it is possible that they have some additional data generated
> during the encoding process to facilitate scanning. Would be
> interesting to do a packet dump...

MCE2005.  So if I understand correctly, DVR-MS is just MPEG2 with a
metadata wrapper.  So, I assume it's an MPEG-2 file.

Just to be sure, I just went and tested an SD and an HD recorded file
accessed from my Infrant NV across the network to the MCE.  Both work
fine in both jump ahead/jump back mode.  I have it setup to skip 7 sec
back (missed what just happened) and skip 30 sec forward (skip
commercial) - both work somewhat instantaneously and for multiple
clicks.  It also works fine for both formats for fast forward or rewind
in multiple levels of speed.  It can get into trouble if you leave it
too long in those modes, but it falls very squarely into the acceptable
implementation range for all practical uses.  Obviously the audio is
silent during the video jumps, but it does come back instantly when
playback resumes.  There's no reason to think this is anything more
than user experience issue since it's really the video you are
searching anyway and the chipmunk sound would just be annoying anyway.
It may be technically challenging too, but it strikes me that the
buffering challenges would be much greater in the HD video scenario
than the audio only scenario.

For grins, I also checked the music portion of the MCE.  For reference,
MCE's music capabilities are laughable and in my opinion, the PM for
that portion of the product should find alternative employment.
However, the FF function works well for MP3.  There apparently isn't an
option for RW since it does nothing when you press that button.  So for
MP3, the MCE has proven that a workable and CD-like verion of FF is
possible.  I can't say the lack RW function is technical since the
overall implementation for music in MCE is so bad, I'd assume poor
product management first.

--
thomsens