thomsens wrote:
> Pat Farrell;216023 Wrote:
>> A modern PC has a gigabyte of RAM, which can hold a complete CD,
>> uncompressed, in memory. Serious PCs for either Vista or development
>> have two or three gig.

> If it's really a matter of inadequate hw, then my original assertion
> that initial architectural decisions (i.e., hw specs) were the problem
> is true.  Sean says that is not the case.

Er, I wasn't talking about the SqueezeBox. The question was why can a
Windoze Media Center handle it properly, and the reason is that it is a
powerful generalized system.

I don't quite get how you jump from Sean's initial post in this thread
to your conclusion.

The SqueezeBox and the Transporter are embedded systems. That is a
totally different design space for software than generalized PCs/Mac, etc.

What you seem to be asking for is that the price to everyone be
increased to meet your needs for FF/RW. I never use it, never tried.
Never tried it on the CD players I've had over the decades.

I used to do all sorts of stuff when I was a radio station DJ when there
were vinyl disks on turntables, but that was long ago and far away.

What Sean said was that it is not easy. He decided not to do it.
What changes because you want it anyway? I am sure that if a strong
majority or even a significant minority wanted it, a future version
might. But so far, I don't see more than a few people wanting it. Not to
say that the few don't want it a lot, but there is no groundswell of
support.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html