omega;215390 Wrote:
> Hi!
>
> -JIMC
> Quote:
> "I tried it, too. The results aren't really relevant, since I didn't
> run the tests blind or double-blind. Let's just say I heard *exactly*
> what I expected I would hear.
>
> Did you hear "the effect" ?

I didn't hear a difference, but I didn't expect to, either.  The reason
my results aren't relevant is that I didn't do it blind/double-blind, so
I did not control for personal bias.

My system isn't very high-end at all, so it could possibly have been
masked in the "digital out-->analog conversion-->speakers-->room
effects" chain but I doubt that.

> Last Sunday, we meet a friend of Hammer and did an analog measurement
> with an "Oscilloscope" on the digital output (SB3).
> "Everything" looked ok, nothing to explain "the effect thing"

So if I'm understanding you, the two measurements you have taken have
shown no difference in the signal, correct?  Will you at least consider
the _possibility_ that there's no problem with the output stage and that
the effect you are hearing is perceptual?

> My and hammers soundcards don’t have a "Digital in".. Maybe
> planning baying one.
> Then we try programs like "Audio DiffMaker" etc.

There were two tests proposed:

1. Using a soundcard with digital-in, record the output from the SB3.
This will be tricky to "compare" as you'll have to match starting
points, but as long as the file contains the same segment of music, it
should be straightforward.  You could also post them here for other
people to help you reveiw.  This test tells about the digital output
from the SB3.

2. Using any analog recording mechanism (with reasonable fidelity and
dynamic range), record the "good" and the "bad" audio, again using the
same section of music.  Use AUDIODIFF to compare these.  This second
test is for THE REST of your system.

In other words, if test 1 shows no difference, but test 2 *does* show a
difference, the problem is occurring somewhere in the process of
digital-to-analog conversion and/or turning the analog signal into
audible frequencies.

> Hammer and I are not so good in the "Digital Domain"
> We need help from someone who has the "know-how" and the measuring
> tools for this. (Jitter etc)
>
> We hope to get some help from Hammers friend at the Royal Institute of
> Technology to track this thing.
> He is a researcher and has very limited time.

Well, hopefully he'll be able to find the time.  Let us know what he
finds, if he is able to help you test.

-=> Jim

--
JimC