Phil Leigh;216649 Wrote:
> 1) if this was the case then ALL transports would indeed sound the same
> (he said, being very carefull not to commit himself on this yet!)

Isn't this the point of digital audio -- any signal degration in
digital does not affect the sound as long as bits get through
unmodified whereas in analog everything changes the sound at least a a
little bit.

The computer guy in me (for 25 years) says that you should always get
bits back as they were sent.  I know SPDIF is a lousy standard, but
what the heck, even in the 80's you got 10Mb/s ethernet (even 24/96
digital is less than 5Mb/s) and nowadays you get 100x faster with just
twisted pair cable.  That tells you the advancement in signal
processing and cable quality over 20 years.

Of course in networks you have error correction, but you can not have
constant errors or the performance goes way down.  In this context
though digital audio should be peanuts nowadays.

I have thought of proving this to myself (and maybe others) by playing
for example something through SB and recording the digital out with
different length cables (I have UA-25 that takes cox/optical in) and
see if I have a bitwise identical copy...  never got around doing this
though.

Teemu

--
tot