opaqueice;220730 Wrote:
> Yeah, absolutely, it does demonstrate that, and it's very useful
> information.My view is that it absolutely doesn't do this reliably!

I think the only thing you can reliably determine from a A/B test
(blind or otherwise), is whether you can determine a difference.  You
need to listen over a longer period, with a wider, more representative
selection of music, to be sure you know which one you prefer.  On a
short test, you can often be seduced by something that has more impact,
whereas a longer test will reveal  any shortcomings.

opaqueice;220730 Wrote:
> The feeling I usually come away with after a blind test is how subtle
> the differences (if any) actually are, contrary to what I had thought
> while doing a sighted comparison.  That's really helped me put things
> in perspective and focus on the aspects of audio reproduction that
> actually make a big difference.The differences are subtle, but it is just
> those subtleties that are the
difference between reasonable sound quality and something that really
engages you.  That's what being an audiophile is all about.  And after
all, the differences between two different performances of the same
music, or two kinds of the same instrument, can also be very subtle
too.

--
Patrick Dixon

www.at-tunes.co.uk