We've been here a few times, but it is hard to resist!  The differences
between speakers are gross - there are huge frequency response
differences.  One would expect these would be relatively easy to pick
up in blind testing.

But digital sources are much more similar is such gross terms.  All
those things that you can easily pick up in quick tests are not
relevant for these.  If you can spot it, great, but I do not accept
that the inability to pick out digital sources reliably in such tests
is meaningful.

Could one do a long-term blind test: have an SB3 and a Transporter both
in the system, have someone unconnected with the trial decide which
actually plugs into the amp (maybe via a 'black box') and get the
listener to mark which he thinks he is listening to, or how much he is
enjoying it, or something.

I don't care, it's Sibelius on the Proms tonight :)

Adam

--
adamslim

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have
others

http://www.last.fm/user/AdamSlim/
'Last.fm group: people who don't listen to any of last.fm's top
artists'
(http://www.last.fm/group/People+who+don%27t+listen+to+any+of+last.fm%27s+top+artists)

SB+, EAR 859, Living Voice Auditorium II plus some other stuff
SB3, Shek d2, Ming-Da MC84-C, Harbeth HL-P3ES