Phil Leigh;225999 Wrote:
> I'm not quite sure who these "experts" are that you refer to, but I'd
> take more notice of the fact that some of the nicest setups in use on
> this forum are using a TP directly into active speakers such as
> ATC100's. These are very revealing setups. Clearly the "experts" are
> wrong (yet again) because these folks are using the digital volume
> control and seem quite happy.
>
> Of course 16 bit uses all 16 bits all the time and 24 bit uses all 24.
> Digital level control at 16-bit is a crude device... however, the SB,
> TP and any decent digital gear will upgrade an incoming 16 bit signal
> to 24 bit before applying level adjustment. As the designer of the
> SB/TP - Sean - pointed out in an a recent post, the TP can resolve to
> 21 bits, beyond which is random noise.
>
> Applying digital level adjustment to a 24-bit signal (native or
> upgraded from 16-bit) is fine. It works. Try it and see. This is not
> about maths, it's about music.
>
> You  really ought to take a trip to a studio sometime - it would be an
> eye-opener...all the levels are being manipulated digitally nowadays -
> and that's before you ever get to hear it. So that great sounding vocal
> or guitar or whatever will already have had its level adjusted in this
> manner. If it was really the musically destructive process that the
> experts claim, people woudn't use it !
>

> If I had no pre-amp I'd be very happy to use attenuators to set the max
> level approximately and then use the digital level control to adjust to
> taste. Very Happy.

The experts are here
http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
I think they are making reference to finished recordings. CD, DVD,
Computer Audio Playback - wav, flac...not during the acutal producing
of the master tapes. Some prefer analog volume control in studio too, i
think(not being in a studio).

You are quiet right regarding digital volumecontrol in studio. For the
most of them.

It is measureable mathematically that analog is better on the finished
product. That said, i am bad in math(thats why i am refering to
experts).

I am using SB3 directly in to Quad 12l Active and are quiet happy my
self, listening to music. I will use analog volume control later.

--
eiret