zanash;226123 Wrote:
> What I can hear if I turn the volume down using the sb3 and turning up
> the analogue volume to match the original volume, is a softening of the
> sound a little like a telescope going out of focus.
Point 1: Nobody has ever suggested that the SB's digital volume control
should be used for basic gain staging. Your experiment yields results
which are not relevant in day-to-day operation.

Point 2: How can you be sure that the change in "focus" isn't due to
the fact that you're operating the analogue preamp at a different gain?
All active preamps have slightly varying noise and distortion as you
adjust their gain.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A