You might look at the powered Quad speakers -- I've only used the
passive versions which are really outstanding bargains, but Quad's
electronics are good. From their website:

"The Active L-series are powered versions of our famous L-series
loudsepakers. The 2 models, the '11L active' and the '12L active' both
feature not only one amplifier, but two amplifiers per speaker, each
tailored to perfectly match its drive unit.

Use with PCs, network media clients, iPods - indeed anything with a
volume controlled output - including our own 99CDP-2. Each speaker
requires mains power and has RCA, XLR (balanced) inputs and volume
controls."

--
peterdlederer