Thank you (both of you) for the tips, it sure made for interesting
reading.

The speakers seem to be very similar, sharing many components, so the
choice between the Quads and the Wharfedales might boil down too
whether the better finish and supposedly better enclosure is worth the
extra money. I will try to get to see either speaker in person this or
next weekend.

One thing from the manual put me off slightly, it stated that it wasn't
recommended to keep the speakers powered on when they weren't in use. I
guess that is a good recommendation for electronics in general, but I
can't see how it could hurt the speakers unless there is something very
wrong with the setup (no grounding and long unbalanced cables maybe?).
Do you think there is danger in taking this recommendation lightly?

Also, from the description of the sound characteristics they seem to
share many similarities with my beloved old LS 3/5As, which were also
targeted as near-field studio monitors. I find this reassuring, since I
was very happy with them.

Again, thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

--
Nils