Hey All,

I have a feeling that I may alienate myself a bit with my first post
here....but here goes...  I don’t belive Don tried the Carbon Fiber as
a shot-in-the-dark kind of whim.  I've been reading-up on Carbon Fiber
(CF) for audio applications for a short time.  What I've found seems
quite interesting to me.   I'll pontificate for a bit and then paste
some quotes/info that caught my eye, but what I’m posting here is by no
means the end-all-be-all on the subject.  So please take all that I post
"with a grain of salt".  Also note that most of what I'm posting is NOT
in direct reference to SB3 or Transporter, though it is totally on
topic with the thread started by Don.

1: DeafCat, check this out:
http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/category/~category_id=TWPCAT_11
If you do a web-search for RFI/EMI fabrics, mesh, screen etc... a TON
of options come-up, many are coated or metalized “fabrics” that pass
air in/out.    Good Luck!

2:  I recently purchased some CF sleeves and a small sheet to test.  I
did this before reading Don’s post(s).   I do not know if the CF will
have any audible impact in my system, but I’ll report back to the group
on my impressions, if anyone’s interested that is.

3:  Here’s a bit of my thought process behind my decision to spend ~$60
and some DIY-time on some CF sleeves and fabric to test in my system:
I think most of us can agree that RFI can/will degrade a system’s sound
quality to some degree or another.  Also, depending on where one is
living (near industry, in a big city, radio transmitter/relay towers,
etc... vs. miles from anything) also affect the relative amounts of
transmitted and airborne RFI pollution one’s system may have to
overcome.  We all know that certain gear (sources, amps, pre, cables,
etc) rejects or limits the intrusion/transmission/radiation of RFI/EMI
better than others.  So, that means the potential audible benefits of
RFI attenuation will be both system and locale dependant.  Consider
that someone owning a high-end system where there’s no RFI will likely
not benefit much from RFI shielding/attenuation.  The converse is also
very true.  I know all of you posting here already know this stuff; the
above is primarily for those who’re reading and not posting.

Knowing that CF absorbs RFI (think original Stealth Technology) then,
theoretically speaking, if each individual piece of audio gear (cables
and all) were completely encased in carbon, then externally radiated
RFI would be attenuated and internally generated radiated RFI generated
in each component would also be limited in its ability to escape and
impact other parts of the audio system.

Interesting enough, but this CF application does nothing for the RFI
transmitted via cables and connectors....or does it?  I've read but I
don't claim to understand the discourse between a pair of electrical
engineers discussing the benefits of CF in their own audio DIY
projects.  One of them suggests that CF can, when placed at the ends of
cables, limit harmonic-ringing and standing waves....which in some cases
can have audible benefits.  This may account for some of the success of
Furutech and Oyaide have had with using carbon fiber in outlet covers
and certain manufacturers have had with creating the IEC and plug ends
out of CF  (Acrolink maybe, can’t recall, sorry?).  This sounds
ridiculous to me, especially at the prices being asked for these
things, but the number of people (well respected and otherwise) that
have reported positive audible benefits that these products supposedly
provide can not (at least not by me) be dismissed out-of-hand....

So, that and the below quotes were the foundation of my reasoning for
thinking that I should get some of this carbon fiber and try it out for
myeslf….$60, heh, if it doesn’t work no biggie, at least my system won’t
be picked-up on radar!

4:  OK, here are those quotes I promised.  All credit goes to the
original posters'.

Begin Quote:
“The carbon damps RF resonances on the power cords. - Al Sekela
face plate. posted by Soundripples on May 30, 2007 at 11:00:39

It is essentially the same technique used to make stealth aircraft.

Electromagnetic waves are reflected by good conductors, such as the
aluminum plate in your project or aircraft skin. If the waves encounter
a resistive surface, such as the carbon fiber or the secret materials
used on stealth aircraft (hint: see Stillpoints ERS cloth), they are
converted to heat and little of their energy is reflected. If the
resistance is too high, they pass through until they hit the underlying
metal, and then they are reflected. There is some optimum value of
surface resistivity that will totally absorb the waves. I don't know
what it is, but typical carbon fiber material seems to be reasonably
close. Lucky for us that carbon fiber is also used to make golf club
shafts and the like, and the materials are available at non-audio
prices.

Power cords support electromagnetic resonances, both in normal- and
common-mode. This resonance makes RF noise worse for audio equipment.
The carbon fiber on the surface of your aluminum plate would act to
absorb the common-mode resonance waves on power cords plugged into it.
If you covered your power cords with carbon fiber sleeve, also
available from Soler, it would act to absorb both normal- and
common-modes. Note that Oyaide makes AC plugs with carbon fiber outer
shell material, and AC power cable that incorporates carbon fiber.
Thus, this is not something I invented, but I've used the ideas in my
DIY projects.”

End Quote:

Begin Quote:

“Carbon fiber applications - Al Sekela 15:58:51 05/13/06 (2)
May 9, 2006 at 06:31:00:
The benefit of carbon fiber is that it presents a resistive load to all
frequencies of electromagnetic wave that impinge upon it. The resistance
is high enough to absorb energy from the electric part of the
electromagnetic wave. There is no enhancement of the magnetic
permeability, so there is no frequency limit imposed by the detailed
behavior of the magnetic response.
Metal shielding has such low resistance that it reflects the energy in
the wave. Insulators have such high resistance that they are
transparent to the wave.
ERS cloth is an alternative RF-absorbing material, reportedly derived
from the same military purpose (to make aircraft present a smaller
radar reflection), but it contains conductive and highly-permeable
materials.
The particular use of carbon fiber cloth, for the wall plate and plug
barrels of audio AC line cords, favors resistive rather than permeable
materials. This is because the standing waves on AC cables have most of
their energy in the common-mode waves, and have electric maxima at the
ends of the cables. The magnetic maxima are at the center and
higher-order nodal points along the cables. Of course, the higher-order
modes will have electric maxima at alternative points along the cable as
well. However, as a general rule of thumb, it is more effective to put
the electric dampers (the carbon fiber or carbon paper) at the cable
ends, where the cable impedance changes, and the magnetic dampers (ERS
cloth, Power Wraps) at the cable centers.
Note that it is better to put the electric dampers where the cable
geometry changes upon entry into the connector. The Oyaide plug barrel
application is close to ideal, while the wall plate is a little farther
away from the impedance change. “
End Quote:

If anyone wants to get brave and put some $$ down, here’s a link that
one can find CF sleeves and sheets:
http://www.sollercomposites.com/
Hope this was of interest to at least one of you out there.

Best regards to all,

Doug

--
Dyak