Let's try to explain it:

we have cable A and cable B. They both have different physical
characteristics, so they could sound different, that's what we want to
proof.
We hook 'm up between an amplifier and some speakers.
We put a microphone somewhere in front of the speakers.
This microphone registers everything which is coming out of the
speakers.
We compare the signals produced with cable A with the signals produced
with cable B.
As the cables are the only changing part, if there is a difference, the
cables will be the source of the difference.
In this case they match completely.
Now tell me: where does the brain have any influence on the signal of
the cables other than the placebo effect?
You're not hooked up to the cable (at least I haven't seen anyone yet
with plugs in his head...)
Another way to test it would be to check the signal right after it
enters the speakers, if the signals are the same, the speakers won't
sound different...
Or do you guys have intelligent speakers that think:
"Wow, I now have superduper expensive cables, I'm getting the same
signal but let's start dancing so that the 'audiophile' in front of us
gets a reason to rectify his/her purchase..."

@CliveB, by mentioning Godwin's law you automatically fulfill it ;)

--
servies