I saw a demo of the Linn Klimax at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in
Denver, Colorado last weekend.  The presenter spent most of his time
demonstrating how it sounded the same as Linn's $20k cd player, playing
one track with the cd player, and then again with the Klimax.  He
described it as a high-end DAC with an Ethernet port.  He also, at one
point, hyped the Klimax as the only network-attached audio player
capable of natively handling 24-bit audio - which is false, as I
understand.  Granted, the SB3 can only go to 24-bit/48khz, and the
Klimax apparently goes to 192khz.  But as I recall, the SB3 handles
24-bit conversion at the unit, as does the Transporter.

The Klimax has a big, cool remote.  And it damn well better, for 20
grand. The audio quality was not nearly as impressive as billed,
although (to be fair) that could have been due to a variety of factors
(room acoustics, etc.).  These audio shows are a crapshoot in that
regard.

Incidentally, my favorites of the show (in no particular order)
included: the Dehavilland tube amps with Wilson Benesch speakers; the
E.A.R. display; Musical Fidelity (one of the few decent solid state
setups, to these ears); Pass Labs; Electrocomponiet (sp?); and the
Manleys with the Joseph Audio speakers.  There were others, but those
spring to mind.

Chris in Santa Fe

--
benthos