I'd be interested to know if you can quantify the random and
data-dependent jitter that's inherent in a TOSLINK connection. The
receiver I'm using, for example, specifies a pulse width distortion of
up to +/- 20ns, and a random jitter that's typically 1ns but with a max
of another 20ns.

At 44.1kHz, the line rate on the SPDIF interface is about 5.6 MHz - the
pulse width is 177ns. So, whilst the receiver isn't so bad it's going to
hamper reliable data recovery (provided the transmitted signal isn't
total rubbish, of course), recovering a low-jitter clock from it could
be a real challenge.

If you can put a figure on how much of that jitter or skew is inherent,
and how much of it is down to the cheapness of the receiver, I'd love to
know.

--
AndyC_772