opaqueice;238603 Wrote:

> The problem is that the frequency of the input is -not- given, because
> each oscillator has a slightly different average frequency.  So your
> local clock will never match the one that generated the input exactly,
> which means the buffer will eventually overflow or empty.

(My comment isn't a criticism of anyone's previous posting.)

This is like a lot of discussions of possible effects on sound quality.
It poses a theoretical effect and proceeds directly to the solution.  A
couple of questions always come to my mind:

1. Does this effect actually occur to an extent that can be detected?

2. How big is the effect?  For example how far off would an SB3 clock
be from an perfect clock?

In this case, I wonder just how much difference is there between the
average rates of the clock locally generated in a buffered DAC and the
clock used to transmit the SPDIF stream from a good quality sound card
in a PC?  Or the transmit clock in an SB3?

If the difference is fairly small, then a simple approach using a fixed
local clock and a reasonable sized buffer may in fact work well enough.
Deleting quiet samples or inserting quiet samples in a string of quiet
samples every now and then might provide periodic re-syncing of the
transmit and receive clocks.

Bill

--
Listener