I reckon it's difficult to discuss such speakers without bringing the
power amplifiers into the loop. Does anybody know which amps the famous
UK studios are using?
I have read that some studios are using very expensive Chord Poweramps,
while I have also heard about Electrocompaniet Nemo.

The reasoning behind this, from me, is that I reckon it's not possible
to get the full benefit of the larger B&W without "powerhouse"
amplifiers.

When I auditioned the 802D they were driven by quite expensive / large
Classe poweramps, and they were just not able to make the speakers come
alive.

If you're auditioning speakers, perhaps you should also bring your own
amplifier, if possible. It's a significant factor in the equation....

I bought speakers 15 years ago realizing afterwards that I didn't have
the amplifiers to run them properly, that's not much fun.....

Some reviewers actually use Large Krell amps (like FPB-600cx) when
reviewing $1500 B&W speakers. No one would use such a setup in the real
world

An example: the Quattro Wood, will obviously be much easier on the amps
because it's got a powered subwoofer and a passive high-pass filter in
the signal path before the power amplifier. This makes a significant
difference.

Regards

-H

--