opaqueice;267827 Wrote:
> Really?  So much for ModWright, then.

Yeah, I know.  But really...

Jack Bybee was able to develop a successful solution to allow sonar
listeners to more reliably detect enemy submarines, using technology he
developed that was kept classified by the US Navy for a number of years.
So what do you do to monetize this technology when you go to the
private sector?

Well, the so-called Bybee Purifiers may or may not do anything for your
system.  Where they seem to matter is where you have very high bandwidth
amplification, where high-frequency harmonics have the potential to
impact the sonic spectrum.  Digital circuitry in particular provides a
certain level of nastiness that good design can mitigate, but the Bybee
parts in the right application can provide a perceptible improvement.

My electrostatic speakers turn out to be good high-frequency receivers.
They in turn feed back some of this into my power amps -- or they used
to.  I perceived this as a certain slight veiled muddiness in the
sound.  I tried various approaches, such as ferrite clamps (deadened
the sound) or sobel filters, but the Bybees seem to do the best job.

On the other hand, they don't make a hill of difference in my living
room system where I have vintage tube amplification & dynamic speaker
drivers.

YMMV

Frank

--