Robin Bowes;271784 Wrote:
> pski wrote:
> > Pat Farrell;271774 Wrote:
> the
> >> Please get real. No microphone can drive a cutting head. You have to
>
> >> have at least a mic preamp to get the level up to where you can
> move
> >> the
> >> signal around.
> >>
> >> And you have to have something to add the RIAA equalization curve.
> Plus
> >>
> >> there is a minor detail that vinyl requires mastering to do minor
> >> things
> >> like space the groves father apart when there is lots of bass, and
> >> closer when there is little bass.
> >>
> >> You could skip the master tape step, but no circuits is not going
> >> happen
> >>

> >> --
> >> Pat Farrell
> >> http://www.pfarrell.com/
> >
> > "research" before you type.
>
> Was that a note to yourself? Surely that's not addressed to Pat?
>
> He's entirely correct - a microphone can't drive a cutting head
> directly, or add a RIAA curve.
>
> I suggest you research a little more yourself before getting all
> cocky.
>
> You might find this link helpful:
>
> http://www.audioinvest.no/tt_vinyl/suprdisc/nautilus.htm
>
> "Analog signals from the artists are passed directly through the
> recording console to a modified cutting lathe which etches in real-time
>
> the master lacquer."
>
> All that is eliminated is the tape.
>
> You can apologise anytime you like.
>
> R.

I won't pretend to defend myself, but I do remember that the gist of
the notes indicated that there was practically nothing between the
artist and the result. I still see (hear) it that way. (Judging by the
resale prices I see the past few days for that pressing, I should have
bought more copies and less beer... I should really refresh my ideas of
what my half-speed collection is worth.)

Regarding my 3db remark: I think I may be used-to thinking of SPL.
Recorded levels obviously could not be directly reflected in volume
(which would be very dependent on those circuits 'tween source and
ear..)

Again, my humble apologies.

pski