It is indeed a difficult choice in this regard.

I recently took the plunge back into vinyl used Rega P25 w/ Super Else
cartridge, and a Trigon Vanguard II phono preamp; whilst at the same
time upgrading my cd playback system to  a highly regarded Cambridge
Audio 840C up sampling deck.  Actually the dollar outlay was just about
even !!

BTW - I have just started integrating a SB3 into the mix - more on that
later especially comments as to  the sound.

Bottom line each has its merits - on the early sixties Karl Richter
Bach Christmas Oratorio on Archive which I own the lp and cd - I would
have to say its a horse race. The vinyl does have a romantic (
nostalgic feel to it ) which maybe purely subjective and may have some
connection to the ritual of the work that goes into the care and
feeding of a good vinyl playback systems and its precious and delicate
software. Warmth, pace, space, staging, and all are sublime. The cd
version on the up sampling deck is certainly much more straight forward
and convenient from a handling standpoint;  the sound is quite close and
good although a tad  souless ,sterile, and at times a bit harsh (
upsampling?). Keep in mind that this is all very subjective and may
have to do more with psychological factors than anything measurable.

I admit I fear  listening to WADIA/CHORD end of the spectrum    due to
funds limitation and an reluctance to spend the equivalent of a mini
cooper "s" on a playback upgrade - call me biased or cheap - it comes
down to a matter of priorities I guess and perhaps I am one of those
blokes to whom "good enough is good enough" - so be it.

I will say this,  the Rega P25 is one of the quietest lp playback decks
I have had the pleasure of owning - maybe the R600 arm and deck combo
but even with weak somewhat worn disks it is far superior to any lp
playback deck I have ever heard. Ticks, pops, hiss, and all seem
minimized.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Raul

--