Guy

I think I see what you mean, but surely if the 'silent' live moments
aren't truly silent (like you would get when the CD waveform is all
zeros), then it means there is in fact some sound present (coughs,
shuffling, breathing, draughts etc) which contribute to the live
'ambience'.  Surely it is better to have a medium that can actually
RECORD those ambient sounds faithfully, rather than a medium which ADDS
its own similar ambience, however pleasant that might be on the ear.

I believe this is Tim Stockman's argument - that the CD noise floor is
way below the noise in the recording, whether that be from tape hiss on
the analogue masters or ambient background noise, and CD is therefore
capable of accurately REPRODUCING that noise.  That's quite different
from noise created by the recording medium itself.

--
chill