opaqueice wrote:
> There is no such thing as proof in science, and there is no distinction
> between "positive" and "negative" statements in hypothesis testing.

Close. There is no such thing as absolute proof in physical science.
Mathematics is all about proof. A proof may depend on postulates, and
you can argue the postulates, but once you accept the postulates, the
proof is either solid or not

Engineering, and all other science (chemistry, physics, astronomy, etc.)
have theories and do experiments to validate them. Sometimes it takes
centuries to show that what was accepted is not really true. F = MA is
one, that while 400 years old, and true in any case we care about, its
not true at quantum levels.

What 99% of the world considers as a scientific proof is not. Its about
rejecting the hypothesis with high confidence.

Opaque's example of 99.9% confidence is very high, better than the
chance that a meteorite will hit me in the head when I walk out to get
the morning paper, but there is a real, non-zero chance of a meteorite
strike even with a 99.9% confidence against it.

There is a reason that every graduate student in science and engineering
at every university in the planet is required to take a term of
statistics. You have to understand what these experiments show, an what
they don't show.

I've been looking, and I have seen zero science that says there is
anything delivered in hi-res commercial recordings that can be detected
by humans.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/