"Well, for me, the repeatable procedure is: update to fw40, listen the
the knob degauss. But that's not very helpful to you, is it?"

That was the case here also. As soon as I went to 7.0.1 with FW40, the
degaussing started. About a week ago I gave beta 7.1 a try (with FW40).
To my surprise, the degaussing problem was gone!

I know this also doesn't help anybody in tracking this down, but could
there be something different in 7.1 that caused the disappearance of
the degaussing? Or is this all a bizarre coincidence?

BTW, as Sean says, FW40 still has the problem of disappearing signal
and strange noises when changing from network to digital input and v.v.
I will try FW42 as soon as it is available.

Teus

--
Teus de Jong