radish;300243 Wrote:
> Why does the fact that someone who drinks a lot of wine invalidate the
> preference of someone who doesn't? What defines what is "better" in a
> wine? Does "better" mean "preferred by some specific person"? The thing
> with wine is that it's _all_ about preference, all that matters is that
> the person drinking it likes it. You might think it tastes like
> pigswill, and that's just fine.
>
> With audio on the other hand, there is at least one objective aim,
> which is accuracy to the source material. Once you get into the
> subjective (I _prefer_ the sound of this amp) then science goes out the
> window, and frankly, it's not worth talking about as everyone's
> preference is their own.
>
> And that's ignoring the fact that the vast majority of DBT testing of
> audio gear is about deciding whether there's a difference at all, not
> whether there's a preference. If the wine people all agree that the
> wine tastes different, they just don't agree on which is "best" I'd say
> you're right back into the subjective - which isn't where most arguments
> on this forum tend to lie.

Basically I agree.

The challenge is...how do we assess accuracy to the source? Since we
all hear the source differently, we all have a different baseline. The
only way to do this meaningfully is to have the real source in the
room, and compare it with a recording of it. Even though we all hear
the recording and the source differently, at least we can indvidually
do an "apples to apples" comparison.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables