...when based on personal preference alone, doesn't mean much.

However, I think it's somewhat silly to let the casual observer's
opinion have just as much value as the opinion of someone who has
dedicated a lot of time to educate themselves on a topic, irrational as
that dedication may be.

I both enjoy good sound and good wine. In both cases I know enough and
I have invested enough time into the subject to explain my personal
opinion on what makes something "better" with some observations, rather
than just categorically state so based on pure seat of the pants feel.

In both cases I don't get dragged nor do I feel that I have the
ultimate urge to go for the more esoteric expressions of the "craft".
The utter flights of fancy are lost on me, but I respect the people
that go for it.

*If* and *when* I listen to true experts that take me further down the
road, pointing out an element in the wine's nose, color or taste I had
overlooked, I think it is a great moment.

So no, I don't believe everybody's opinion on what is "better" counts
the same as far as I am concerned. There are extremes to both sides:
those who simply feel entitled to express opinions without having made
an effort to know what they talk about, and then there are those who
are either a tad too obsessed and borderline derranged, or simply pose
based on the premise that throwing more $$$ at something can make them
compensate for lack of knowledge... The reasonable people in the middle
spectrum with an idea of what they talk about, and the will to exchange
opinions without getting caught up in dogma... those are the ones that
I personally listen to and learn from.

--
pablolie