I tried to see if I could tell MP3 (320) from FLAC - and to my surprise
I could and I couldn't. I listened to a sample of each - beeing able to
listen again from the start of the tracks, but not knowing which sample
was MP3/FLAC. I tried 4 different tracks, one of them twice with a
break in between. Every time I guessed wrong: What I thought was FLAC
was MP3. So I could tell the difference (I don't know statistics, but
getting 5 "rigtht" out of 5 is beyond pure chance, that much I do know)
but to my surprice I thought the MP3 had the better sound quality. I am
not sure I would think so after listened for more than a few seconds.
What made me think the MP3 was better, I think was, that it sounded
"firmer", less fussy - which perhaps makes sence - the fussiness or
some sort of "air" in the recording get's lost?

--
marlowe