opaqueice;333155 Wrote:
> 5/5 is marginal - it would probably not be regarded as significant even
> under properly controlled conditions by most researchers.
>
> Are you able to listen to music from a computer over a decent quality
> system?  If so, I suggest foobar2000 with the ABX plugin.  It allows
> you to switch back and forth instantaneously without restarting the
> track, it lets you compare known A and B to unknown X (which is
> superior to A/B), and it also keeps track of your record.
>
> I was able to ABX 320 vs. wav using it, but only on a track I knew
> exhibited MP3 compression artifacts particularly clearly, and only
> after some practice using lower qualities.

I may try foobar - it sure sounds easy to use (it was a blind test, I
did, just to be clear), just for fun. My system consist of Transporter,
Rogue Audio Cronus and Focus Audio FS-788 - I would say, the sound
quality is pretty good. The tracks I selected were just tracks I
selected because they sound well recorded to me (Krall/Temptation,
Bach/Rostropovich, Debussy/Zimerman and Prokofiev/Mintz and Bronfman).

My primary purpose was just to figure out if MP3 is good enough. If I
can tell a difference, it's not, even if the difference isn't obvious.
So ripping cd's rather than buying mp3's for now, I think.

--
marlowe