opaqueice;338045 Wrote:
> Have you ever heard of the Nyquist-Shannon theorem?  Or human hearing
> thresholds?

Yes, everyone who enjoyed a (digital) electronics education knows most
if not all theorems related to audio. However, we're talking about
actual reproduction of sound recordings here, not just the theory and
everyone knows that the Nyquist-Shannon theorem is not realizable in
practice for a number of reasons.
The human hearing thresholds are what we are talking about... why would
you suggest I don't know about it? I think you probably meant to combine
these two statements, meaning that the errors in the practical (so
imperfect) implementation of the theorem are not audible for a human
and thus, while imperfect, it is good enough for an audiophile? Hmmm..
that still would be a bold statement, so you really should explain
yourself more ;-)

opaqueice;338045 Wrote:
> It's not, actually.  Sound is the motion of a finite number of discrete
> molecules :-).

I see the smiley ;) So, digital becomes analog when bit-depth reaches
that amount of molecules? How about sample-rate, how would you
eliminate that in the comparison? I don't think your statement will
triumph ;-)

opaqueice;338045 Wrote:
> I agree the difference between live and recorded sound is much larger
> than the difference between lossless and 320 MP3.  So is the difference
> made by moving your stereo speakers.  Or switching to a surround sound
> setup, or to headphones.  All of which goes to show that your point -
> that digital is the primary problem - is not correct.

Sorry, I must not been clear as that was not my point. My point is that
when comparing 320 mp3 to flac, one should take a step back and look at
the bigger picture and put the issue at hand in the right perspective.
As soon as one (me) gives examples, other factors are left out,
complicating the discussion. People here try to reproduce sound on a CD
as good as possible but forget that audiophiles are supposed to try to
get closer to the actual performance instead of the bits on the CD. My
point is that bit-perfect is not perfect and thus should not be the
goal of any audiophile. My point is that when anyone accepts a 16 bit,
44 kHz FLAC as his or her ultimate listening experience, the person is
actually not an audiophile. I think you will agree to these points or
you wouldn't be in this forum.

I think anyone who can truly hear the difference between 320-mp3 and
44/16 flac for the majority of popular/modern (non-classical)
recordings, is special and will have no problem finding a very well
paid job in the music industry. The one person here in the thread that
could do it, needed lower-rate mp3's of the same recording first, to
discover possible points of difference. When he would only have had the
two versions he would probably have failed to notice the difference
(that's what he wrote himself). This person would enjoy listening to
320-mp3 just as much as listening to the flac if he would not be aware
which version was playing. But I understand that even not being aware
which version plays might reduce the pleasure of the experience... the
human brain is complex.

Getting more into the heat-zone: I read that someone thinks that
blind-testing is flawed and "proves" this by stating that a person
can't hear a difference between two different recordings. "But the
recordings -are- actually different so the method of testing must be
flawed". Reading that kept a smile on my face for the rest of the day
;-) That person should stop being a troll or, if he wasn't, he should
go into politics because all is upside-down there anyway. For the
record: this method of testing isn't flawed. When one doesn't hear the
difference under blind testing, it means just that: the person's
hearing is flawed more than that of the person that can hear the
difference under the same test.

Let me finish this post with this: I love digital. When they started
this with blunt analog low-pass filters (anti-alias) it was way worse
than analog, but I still loved digital anyway. Now, they sample at
radio-frequency sample-rates, apply digital low-pass filters, and get a
near perfect reproduction of the performance. Next, they crap it up on
purpose by downsampling it for distribution to the masses, I buy it,
and love it even more. Soon, I'll buy HD audio which is less crapped up
from what "they" have and oh how much I will love that. It will almost
be like actually being at the performance!

ciao!
Nick.

--
DeVerm