btooze;342852 Wrote:
> Thank you for all your suggestions.
>
> I was looking at the Beresford purely as a headphone amplifier, as I
> have read on other forums that a dedicated headphone amp can make a big
> improvement.
>
> I know that the M’s are limited but as a second system I think they
> sound pretty good.
>
> If the Beresford made a decent headphone amplifier AND there was a
> sound improvement through the Aegos (win – win combination), then this
> was the option I was initially considering. I did not intend my post to
> debate how good the Duet DAC was against an external DAC.
>
> The consensus seems to be to change the headphones.
> Thank you for recommending the Alessandeo MS1’s. They do not appear to
> be that popular in the UK and I was not aware of them.
>
> Reading the reviews on line (and the good price) they seem to be my
> best option.
>
> Thanks again for your assistance.

Glad to be of assistance. I don't think that we were trying "to debate
how good the Duet DAC was against an external DAC" but merely trying to
give you some other options on how to spend to your money to best
achieve the sonic improvements that you're hoping to realize.

The world of audio can be very complex and it is not always very clear
just what needs to be done to gain some improvements in the sound of
one's system, especially when the old "bang per buck" ratio is taken
into account. Sure the Duet's DAC can be "bettered" by many different
external DAC's, all at different price points, but one should always
consider one's entire audio system and then work within one's budget to
figure out where it would be best to spend one's money. In your case and
with your present budget a new pair of headphones might turn out to do
the trick....until next system upgrade ;)

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2