I certainly agree with the value of a blind test and thus is why I no
longer own the Lavry. It took over a year to test and when I did I was
surprised. That said, even when the difference is only in preference,
and not real levels of SQ, I've done enough DAC blind tests in groups
to know they're quite easily to detect differences. There may be an
advantage of the inherent portability of top-tier headphone gear in
conducting group tests with equipment well known to individuals in the
group, but I'm kinda surprised with everything I've seen there is
resistance here that the SB3/C/D (while being undervalued) is still not
all that. Admittedly my $5,000+ DAC listens only falls on Emm Labs gear,
but since picking out differences at the couple hundred dollars range
(as mentioned previously) isn't difficult I doubt it would be higher
up.

Reversing it, I don't deny some gear and some ears are unlikely to hear
differences. I'd suspect the same with amps, phones and speakers.

And there are a lot of things you can do with a DAC besides have it
convert signals. ;)

Anyway we may be at the no difference between a SB3/C/D and
Transporter, 128 kbps MP3 and lossless compression, redbook and SACD,
etc. point. Getting off the original question, so I'll now back off.

--
blessingx

'★'
(http://www.last.fm/user/blessingx/)  -'this
american life' (http://thislife.org/), 'take-away
shows'
(http://www.blogotheque.net/spip.php?page=cae_all&lang=en),
'jazz profiles'
(http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10208861),
'streaming soundtracks'
(http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/)-

nas ))) macbook ))) squeezebox 3x3:
⊗ assemblage dac1 → rudistor nxØ2 sistema → at w1ØØØ
/ etys er4p/s
⊗ parasound 11ØØ hd #1 → stax srm-ØØ7t → stax lambda
sig / lambda pro
⊗ parasound 11ØØ hd #2 → single power extreme platinum
→ senn hd58Ø
 ⊗ parasound 11ØØ hd #2 → l stax
srm-1/mk2 pro → stax lambda pro / gold