mvalera;348132 Wrote:
> Can't comment on the 1709, cause they don't have the D/A output specs,
> but my 3808ci which costs 3x more has worse specs than the SB3 on the
> D/A outputs:
>
> THD(+N?)3808ci: 0.008% or -81.9dB
> THD+N SB3: 0.002% or -93.5dB
>
> SNR: wash between the two
>
> MikeMike, I have a 3808 too. I won't fight on the figures, because they
don't mean much (THD comparison between an amp and a dac is irrelevant,
we don't even know what they mean by "D/A output", do we ?), but I will
just say this : The sound of the 3808 in "Pure Direct" through the DAC
and the sound of the same "Pure Direct" fed by the analog outputs of
the SB3 are completely different, on any kind of music. The other day,
I was making some tests and I had plugged the analog SB3 , when my wife
stepped into the room, looking for a book. After a minute or so she told
me : "what have you done to the music ? It doesn't sound as
usually...".

In my opinion, the difference in perceived quality of the 3808vsSB3 is
about the same as the difference between a Benchmark and a SB3. About.
Perhaps the Benchmark has a small advantage over the 3808, but it's not
worth mentioning it compared to the price (and the other features) of
this amp.
I mean, since you owe a 3808 you should agree, I suppose.

But, of course, all this reflects my sole opinion. Everybody listens
music for oneself, has his/hers own standards of perceived quality and
one should listen before deciding to buy.

--
Themis

SB3 - North Star dac 192 - Denon 3808 - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus