I'm gonna split up in multiple posts a bit because it's just to diverse
to include it all into 1 post;

opaqueice;352132 Wrote:
> Evidence for "mostly"?  I've done quite a few blind tests, and some were
> done with quick switches, some with long.  Same goes with the ones I've
> read about - in fact I think you're wrong and most blind tests these
> days are done with long samples, just to address this complaint.

Well, I just spent another 30 minutes searching the net for long
samples and I didn't find a single one! So I stick with my statement.
Here is what I find:

http://www.soundexpert.info/
samples about 15s each
---
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=64991
samples should be 8-15s
---
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4601
index of generally used test samples
---
http://lame.sourceforge.net/quality.php
LAME samples vary between 3 and 30s
---
http://sound.media.mit.edu/mpeg4/audio/sqam/
mit.edu recommended samples from SQAM disc: between 21 and 37s
---
http://ff123.net/samples.html
5-30s samples

My conclusion: in audio ABX testing, short 5-30s samples are used. The
reason is that they follow the CCIR recommendations from 1978. I do
believe that you use longer samples but I am referring to large scale
testing incl. the Muraoka et al. 1978; Plenge et al. 1979 tests.

Let me quote those citations again because you skipped that section:

"The CCIR (1978), and the current International Telecommunication
Union-Radio communication sector (ITU-R 1997), have recommended that
sound samples used for the comparison of sound quality should not last
longer than 15-20 s (CCIR 1978; ITU-R 1997), and that intervals between
sound samples should be about 0.5-1 s (CCIR 1978) because of short-term
human memory limitations"

I hope this is enough evidence for "mostly" ?

> Nope.  According to the paper (at least as far as I can see from what
> they wrote), several very similar experiments were done in the past,
> and the results disagree with theirs.  I gave the references above.
> That's why they bother to try to justify the difference.

I can't agree. When I read the paper, it says that Muraoka et al. 1978;
Plenge et al. 1979 did NOT use EEG & PET but solely questionnaires. It
says so literally. Also, they state that their findings are in
agreement with Muraoka et al. (1978) and Plenge et al, --not--
disagreement. Quote:

"We also examined the psychological evaluation using the same material
and sound presentation system as was used for the present study, but
followed the presentation method recommended by the CCIR, and confirmed
that the results were in agreement with the studies by Muraoka et al.
(1978) and Plenge et al. (1979)."

> This has nothing to do with language.  Think about it - you're making
> -precisely- the same assumption about the gear which this paper is
> claiming was wrong for human hearing - that not being affected by the
> HF signal alone means it will not have an effect when combined with LF.

I am really sorry that I don't understand you and I also don't
understand what you write in the quote above. As my IQ is well above
130 I assure you that it must be either my limited comprehension of the
English language or your limited clarity in these statements. I know
you're talking about the gear used and assume you mean the EEG and PET
equipment so why don't you specify that? You also seam to state that
the EEG & PET gear is not suitable for this test because it is
interfered by the music that is played? These are assumptions I make
because I don't understand you, but when you indeed state this, you
should explain how that figures because I know of no such flaws with
this equipment.

cheers,
Nick.

--