Same here, sorry Phil. Will start a separate thread next time and stop
off-topic posts here.

Actually, I have been thinking about your problem. My observation from
your photo's is that the tops from the 5th-7th harmonics are clearly
missing from the square wave. As the fundamental was 1 kHz, this is the
harmonics at 5, 7 and 9 kHz. I also read that you checked at different
amplitude levels and frequencies and that the pictures were the same. I
would propose this:

1. check those pictures for the different frequencies again or may be
you remember this detail clearly still. If that 5th-7th harmonic is
still the missing, it is not frequency related but algorithm related.
If it's also the same for lower amplitudes, we can assume that it's a
core-bug in the algorithm and not just an amplitude-related artifact of
overflow etc.

2. I am still curious on the TACT picture of a pure sine 21 kHz signal
because it will show what the TACT does with signals at the limits of
the 44 kHz sample rate. I mean, it will up-sample it, after which it
isn't close to the limit anymore. The question is if distortion appears
before, during or after the up-sampling. If we see any distortion here,
it would point to a bug before or during up-sampling.

3. test with a 21 kHz sine but in a 48 kHz sample-rate file. Again for
96 kHz rate. Just to make sure it isn't a frequency limit.

4. Did you do the 1 kHz squarewave with 48 and 96 kHz files? I assume
the TACT up-samples to 96 kHz? And I assume it doesn't up-sample if the
input is 96 kHz already because I wouldn't know how that would be done.
This will show several things:

The middle of the squarewave isn't the 5th-7th harmonics anymore
because we go beyond the 11f harmonic for the higher sample-rates. So,
if it's still missing the "center" tops instead of the 5th-7th tops,
the error is independent from input-signal

If the 5th-7th harmonic is still missing (the flattened part moves left
of center square-top), we must re-evaluate our thinking ;-)

A final set of test-signals would be a 10 and a 12 kHz squarewave as 44
kHz sample-rate. The 10 should show one big valley between two tops and
the 12 kHz should show... a sine? See if there still is that same
distortion.

cheers,
Nick.

--