DeVerm;352213 Wrote:
> Same here, sorry Phil. Will start a separate thread next time and stop
> off-topic posts here.
>
> Actually, I have been thinking about your problem. My observation from
> your photo's is that the tops from the 5th-7th harmonics are clearly
> missing from the square wave. As the fundamental was 1 kHz, this is the
> harmonics at 5, 7 and 9 kHz. I also read that you checked at different
> amplitude levels and frequencies and that the pictures were the same. I
> would propose this:
>
> 1. check those pictures for the different frequencies again or may be
> you remember this detail clearly still. If that 5th-7th harmonic is
> still the missing, it is not frequency related but algorithm related.
> If it's also the same for lower amplitudes, we can assume that it's a
> core-bug in the algorithm and not just an amplitude-related artifact of
> overflow etc.
>
> 2. I am still curious on the TACT picture of a pure sine 21 kHz signal
> because it will show what the TACT does with signals at the limits of
> the 44 kHz sample rate. I mean, it will up-sample it, after which it
> isn't close to the limit anymore. The question is if distortion appears
> before, during or after the up-sampling. If we see any distortion here,
> it would point to a bug before or during up-sampling.
>
> 3. test with a 21 kHz sine but in a 48 kHz sample-rate file. Again for
> 96 kHz rate. Just to make sure it isn't a frequency limit.
>
> 4. Did you do the 1 kHz squarewave with 48 and 96 kHz files? I assume
> the TACT up-samples to 96 kHz? And I assume it doesn't up-sample if the
> input is 96 kHz already because I wouldn't know how that would be done.
> This will show several things:
>
> The middle of the squarewave isn't the 5th-7th harmonics anymore
> because we go beyond the 11f harmonic for the higher sample-rates. So,
> if it's still missing the "center" tops instead of the 5th-7th tops,
> the error is independent from input-signal
>
> If the 5th-7th harmonic is still missing (the flattened part moves left
> of center square-top), we must re-evaluate our thinking ;-)
>
> A final set of test-signals would be a 10 and a 12 kHz squarewave as 44
> kHz sample-rate. The 10 should show one big valley between two tops and
> the 12 kHz should show... a sine? See if there still is that same
> distortion.
>
> cheers,
> Nick.

Nick - you are a star! - this will take me some time to organise but I
WILL do it as you suggest.
Might have to wait until Friday afternoon or the weekend though.

I need the brains of this forum (you, Mr O and all "the guys in the
band") to help me with this because I am well out of my depth here.
Analogue - yes ...digital - No!

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)