Robin Bowes;366978 Wrote:
> maxrob200 wrote:
>
> > It is interesting to note that by posting an opinion that I have now
> > been relegated to the "imagining things" category. As mentioned
> > earlier, it was not so long ago that the general belief was that all
> > cables sounded the same or all that an amplifier had to do was
> > demonstrate " straight wire with gain", so why not differences in
> the
> > digital domain due to unforseen variables.
>
> maxrob200,
>
> There's a world of difference between:
>
> 1. hearing a difference between .wav and .flac
> 2. "hearing" a difference when your SB is connected to Squeezecenter
> via
> a switch vs. direct connection.
>
> I don't personally hear (1) myself, although I've not done extensive
> testing, but I don't dismiss it as impossible; highly unlikely, IMHO,
> but not impossible.
>
> (2) is just not possible. Let me attempt an analogy.
>
> You, Sean, and myself are all sitting at a table with our laptops. They
>
> are not connected in anyway.
>
> I have an image file I want to send to you.
>
> Consider these two scenarios:
>
> 1. I write the file onto a USB key and slide it across the table to
> you.
> You read the file from the key and view it on your computer.
>
> 2. I write the file onto a USB key and slide it across the table to
> Sean
> who then slides it to you. You read the file from the key and view it
> on
> your computer.
>
> Do you think your computer will process the image file any differently
>
> in scenario (2) than it will in scenario (1)? Would you expect the
> image
> file to look any different in scenario (2) than it will in scenario
> (1)?
>
> I am Squeezecenter.
> You are a Squeezebox.
> Sean is a switch.
>
> R.

Hate to clue you but #1 and #2 are identical and purely imagined.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000, DSP5500HC,
DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)