maxrob200 wrote:

> And no, I am not imagining the sound differences between standalone and
> connected to the switch.

Yes you are. You really, really, are.

> Like the age old debates among audiophiles about cable differences as
> well as amplifier differences despite measurements being identical,
> some things are in the subjective domain and will likely remain so for
> eons yet.

Yes, but this is simply not one of them.

If you copy a file between two computers connected via a switch it will
be *exactly* the same as if you connected the computers directly.

And that's the only thing that matters.

Once the song has been transmitted asynchronously to the Squeezebox, it
is processed internally and, believe me, the Squeezebox has no idea
whether the file has come via a switch or direct.

You don't by chance mean "wireless access point" when you say "switch"
do you? In which case you could have bandwidth limiting enabled, perhaps.

R.