I want to set a static IP for the SB so that I can use it just with the
NAS, nothing to do with sound quality. At the moment, when I just use
the NAS and SB, the SB cannot locate the NAS if it has been switched
off from the mains. If I just switch cables it works fine as IP has
already been given by router's DHCP

And no, I am not imagining the sound differences between standalone and
connected to the switch.

Also IMO wav sounds better than FLAC

Like the age old debates among audiophiles about cable differences as
well as amplifier differences despite measurements being identical,
some things are in the subjective domain and will likely remain so for
eons yet.

--
maxrob200