Let me preface this by saying that I enjoy listening to music.  In any
forum except one dedicated to Audiphilia, that may seem to be a simple
but telling statement.  Here, it may sound as flat as one of those
"new" knock-off Mullard tubes pushing a ripped speaker.

The point the article is attempting to make (and I have no disagreement
with their facts) is that data streams can, or will be able to, deliver
more bits than a CD and more bits = more resolution.  More resolution =
"better hi-fi".

I'm fine with this too, but we've lived thru it before and I play with
it all of the time: SACD vs. vinyl.  About 30% of all topics on this
forum say something akin to "you need to listen and find what works
best for you..." or the like.  120% more data flowing form the
ether-regions of the world thru my system and into my ears may _not_
equate to even a 1% increase in subjective quality reaching my
ear/brain.

A prime example may come from my own switch (or "downgrade" as some may
say) from B&W 704's with a 300w Rotel amp to my little Omega Grande
full-range fostex speakers and a 25/25 watt tube amp.  Nothing against
B&W - they gave me the foot up into hi-fi and away from the low end
audio equipment I grew up with.

Where I believe the B&W philosophy will have a big hold is with the
sub-audiophile crowd; imagine all of the masses having access to
uncompressed 24/96 or greater.

To quote the article:
>  But the format’s ‘lo-fi’ image is somewhat ironic
> because digital music actually holds the promise of the highest quality
> of all, by making it possible to reproduce in the home environment a
> level of quality that is currently restricted to the very best
> recording studios.
> Music compression formats such as MP3 were first used simply because
> the maximum speed offered by dial-up modems in the early 1990’s
> made downloading CD-quality digital music impractical. Fifteen years
> later, in spite of the widespread availability of hi-speed broadband
> connections, most digital music is still offered with compression,
> simply because the average user favours convenience over absolute
> quality. But this does not mean that digital music has to be supplied
> in a compressed format.

Good job B&W.  I really do hope all audio manufactures - hardware,
software, and recording artists alike -- pick up on this sooner rather
than later.

Oh, and for those who still don't trust downloaded music and want a
copy on vinyl or CD... well, I gave up my fax machine and filing
cabinet in leu of PDF's and a backup hard drive.  My life is easier and
much cleaner.... and I can find what I'm looking for.

--
kphinney

SB3 (x2) and Transporter
Rotel RCD-1070