What really gets me about both Stereophile's and TAS's approach to music
servers is how, even when they do try to focus on sound quality issues,
they always manage to give a "pass" to "poor" sounding music servers
from well known high end manufacturers and yet for some strange never
bother to take the digital output from the relatively lowly (by
mega-buck high end standards) SqueezeBox or Receiver and run it into a
high end, i.e. mega-buck, DAC. For some reason the SqueezeBox always
seem to end up connected to some $1000 DAC as if it's $300 digital
outputs was somehow unworthy of your average mega-buck DAC. By the way,
feel free to correct me if I somehow missed a review where the
SqueezeBox was feeding a mega-buck DAC.

In any event I believe that the SqueezeBox/high end DAC combo would
give any high end CD transport/DAC combo (or for that matter any high
end music server/DAC combo) a very good run for it's money. Yet I've
still yet to read about or see any of these types of combos compared
head to head.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2