DaveWr;397917 Wrote:
> at the risk of being flamed ;-)
>
> I fail to see the validity of this testing in a true hifi context.
>
> The device you are testing is re-digitised with an ADC.  then you
> compare the output digital data using the application.  Well the ADC
> has its own transfer function.  It's probably a DAC and comparator ADC
> internally.  This means it has to have its own filters for
> anti-aliasing etc.  If the transfer function of the ADC is not highly
> transparent related to the signals you are comparing, it itself will
> filter and mask variations, I expect particularly in the high frequency
> domain phase and transient performance.
>
> Basically you can't see differences that the ADC can't code, due to
> noise floor, aliasing filters and actual bit resolution.  It's like
> using a 1MHz scope to look at 100kHz square wave edges (albeit an
> extreme case).
>
> So don't throw your special bits out yet, they may make the difference
> in parts you can't measure with the system, but can perceive.
>
> Dave

Dave - the reason why this logic doesn't apply is detailed in the help
file of the application.

The transfer function does NOT have to be highly transparent - it just
has to be consistent - which it is.

If you think an ADC can't capture the nuances, you have to ask yourself
"how on earth did those nuances get onto the CD in the first place?"

If it's on the CD you can record it on an ADC. Period.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom