yunti;402911 Wrote:
> The process is likely to be:
>
> Convert CD’s to FLAC using (EAC or dbpoweramp – which is most
> accurate?)
> Play FLAC from PC hard drive (probably will use NAS later) to eg
> squeezebox classic.
> SPDIF (coaxial) connecting squeezebox to my amp (containing the DAC)
>
> The one exception to this is one of my amps is the Pioneer SC-07 (LX81
> in Europe) has the DLNA server built into it so will pull off the FLAC
> files directly.
>
> What sources of error will I have with this process?
> Eg. Will the network cables introduce error? If I plug the network
> cables via the router does that make any difference? Will the reading
> of the FLAC files by the hard drive introduce error? What errors does
> the squeezebox introduce in decoding the FLAC files? etc….
>
> If I upgrade my hard drive to a new drive at a later date and move
> across my music collection will that introduce error or will it be an
> exact match?
>
> Each of the slim devices has a quoted spec for jitter .. I’m not clear
> on exactly what this means?
>
> Hopefully some of the many experts in this forum will be able to help
> with this.
>
> Thanks.

No bit errors will be introduced between your PC and your squeezebox.
There are several layers of checksums that prevent this.  Both TCP/IP
and wifi/ethernet (they're basically the same thing bit-wise) have
internal checksums.  In addition to this FLAC has built-in checksums.

Upgrading hard drives in theory could cause bit errors in very very
rare cases, but there are good tools out there that you can use to
verify copies are completed perfectly.  I'm not a window user, so I'm
not sure how the data validation tools I use (md5sum, rsync) translate
to the windows world.
The easiest thing is probably just copying the files and using flac
tools to validate the internal checksums.

The only real source of errors is the ripping process.  If you use EAC
or dbpoweramp with acuraterip enabled you're pretty safe.

You're right, the only real source of "errors" in the squeezebox is the
jitter "problem".  Jitter happens in all spdif connections because the
decoding clock and data bits are integrated.  However it takes a huge
amount of jitter for this to be audible.  Last I remember the
squeezebox jitter levels are well below audibility.  There will be
people that argue they can hear it but won't prove it to you.

--
SuperQ