yunti;402911 Wrote:
> I did originally post this in the beginner's section but it's probably
> more suited to here.
>
> I'm considering converting my music collection to FLAC and using a
> number of slim devices (likely to be squeezebox classics) around the
> house to listen to the converted music library.
>
> However before I do that I’m interested in understanding the potential
> sources of error, up until the point the music reaches the DAC, so that
> I can set up in the best way.
>
> The process is likely to be:
>
> Convert CD’s to FLAC using (EAC or dbpoweramp – which is most
> accurate?)
> Play FLAC from PC hard drive (probably will use NAS later) to eg
> squeezebox classic.
> SPDIF (coaxial) connecting squeezebox to my amp (containing the DAC)
>
> The one exception to this is one of my amps is the Pioneer SC-07 (LX81
> in Europe) has the DLNA server built into it so will pull off the FLAC
> files directly.
>
> What sources of error will I have with this process?
> Eg. Will the network cables introduce error? If I plug the network
> cables via the router does that make any difference? Will the reading
> of the FLAC files by the hard drive introduce error? What errors does
> the squeezebox introduce in decoding the FLAC files? etc….
>
> If I upgrade my hard drive to a new drive at a later date and move
> across my music collection will that introduce error or will it be an
> exact match?
>
> Each of the slim devices has a quoted spec for jitter .. I’m not clear
> on exactly what this means?
>
> Hopefully some of the many experts in this forum will be able to help
> with this.
>
> Thanks.

The only source of errors available to you are:
1) incorrect rips from CD - avoided by using EAC (or whatever) with
AccurateRip - these types of errors are quite rare anyway. These types
of error are actual data errors.

2) Jitter causing timing errors within the DAC. These types of error
are completely different and afflict EVERY digital system to a greater
or lesser extent.

The fact that an SB can replay a dts stream tells you that the overall
pipeline from your hard disk to the digital output of the SB is
bit-error free (aka "bit-perfect")

Basically, all the computer/network stuff "just works"...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom