Hi,

I am currently A/B'ing my SB3 and new Transporter to determine whether
the significant price differential between the two units is justified,
or whether the 30 day money back guarantee is the way to go.

At present, I have the SB3 hooked up through its RCA analog output to a
Bel Canto Pre1 which is wired via XLR to a Bel Canto 200.2 amp.  The
Transporter was initially hooked up to the Pre1 via RCA but is now
connected using the balanced XLR connectors.

I have noticed significant improvements with the Transporter but want
to ensure that this is as controlled as possible.  Firstly, I need to
confirm that my setup is volume leveled. I have both the SB3 and
Transporter "synchronized" with the volume set to "fixed" via the
options menu in Squeezecenter.  The volume digital readout on the Bel
Canto is set to the same level for all inputs.

To my ears, it sounds like the Transporter may be a little louder...but
this may be a function of the lower noise floor and, overall, fuller
presentation/wider soundstage/etc. If it is the latter cause, then I
keep the Transporter.  If, however, the perceived improvements are
simply due to volumes which are not 100% identical, then I cannot
possibly justify the price difference between the two and the
Transporter goes back.

My question is: with the aforementioned setup, is there any possible
way that the volumes could be different? Does use of the XLR connector
on the Transporter vs. the RCA outputs on the SB3 bias volume, all
other factors being identical?

Thanks in advance.

--
El Duderino