El Duderino;409064 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently A/B'ing my SB3 and new Transporter to determine whether
> the significant price differential between the two units is justified,
> or whether the 30 day money back guarantee is the way to go.
>
> At present, I have the SB3 hooked up through its RCA analog output to a
> Bel Canto Pre1 which is wired via XLR to a Bel Canto 200.2 amp.  The
> Transporter was initially hooked up to the Pre1 via RCA but is now
> connected using the balanced XLR connectors.
>
> I have noticed significant improvements with the Transporter but want
> to ensure that this is as controlled as possible.  Firstly, I need to
> confirm that my setup is volume leveled. I have both the SB3 and
> Transporter "synchronized" with the volume set to "fixed" via the
> options menu in Squeezecenter.  The volume digital readout on the Bel
> Canto is set to the same level for all inputs.
>
> To my ears, it sounds like the Transporter may be a little louder...but
> this may be a function of the lower noise floor and, overall, fuller
> presentation/wider soundstage/etc. If it is the latter cause, then I
> keep the Transporter.  If, however, the perceived improvements are
> simply due to volumes which are not 100% identical, then I cannot
> possibly justify the price difference between the two and the
> Transporter goes back.
>
> My question is: with the aforementioned setup, is there any possible
> way that the volumes could be different? Does use of the XLR connector
> on the Transporter vs. the RCA outputs on the SB3 bias volume, all
> other factors being identical?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you are going to use FLAC or some other lossless format and can
afford the Transporter, keep it and enjoy the music instead of wasting
time setting up incorrect/incomplete testing procedures.

First, common sense should tell you that you are wasting your time as
well as ours because the DAC chip, DAC circuits, power supplies, and
analog output section in the Transporter are superior to the SB3 in
every department!

Second, your ears can't be trusted as they are connected to you brain
that uses all available information at its disposal to make
conclusions. You may ask if you're listening what other info is
available? I will tell you, your eyes and any misconceptions, biases,
or conclusions you have already arrived at. An Audio Engineer friend
and I have proved this many times with an experiment we repeated many
times with the exact same result every time. Bias and pre-conclusions
win out over actual facts when one is depending on ones ears to form
test results. Download the software that Phil and I have been using and
eliminate the faulty part of your testing IE your brain, eyes, and
ears.

Third, if you don't already know that XLR Balanced outputs are superior
to RCA outs, then don't bother wasting your time and ours.

The SB3 has a 6.0Vpp RCA line level output and the Transporter XLR is
8.5Vpp so it had better sound louder into the same pre-amp line level
input! Should it sound clearer and cleaner, it should, but because of
the better DAC and accompanying circuits. Not the fact that XLR has
more oomph. Again the ears are misleading the conclusions and the brain
is making assumptions.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
House Portable: SB3, Audioengine A5
Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
Expedition: SB3, ToughBook