CatBus;411934 Wrote:
> Better than that--I can point you to the samples themselves.  But
> first--you weren't clear which you wanted...do you want the 320k MP3
> that's indistinguishable from RedBook or the 320k MP3 that's easily
> distinguished from RedBook.  It's a kinda important difference.
>
> The first one's easy: silence.mp3.  Sounds just like the source.  Yes,
> it's a bit of a cop-out too but I'm trying not to fan flames here and I
> may get grudging agreement from a few subjectivists on this one.
>
> The next one is harder--there's a sample called "eig" that's a pretty
> good general-purpose MP3-wrecker.  Google will help you here.  IMO it's
> a great example of a track that just cannot be fixed by throwing more
> bits at it.
>
> It's not that hard to understand.  MP3 uses algorithms to figure out
> which data can be discarded without causing an audible difference (and
> IMO the LAME project has done a fantastic job with those algorithms,
> keeping yestertech like MP3 competitive with other lossy formats).
> Careful enough study of those algorithms and their assumptions would
> allow you to custom-create a track that wouldn't compress without
> audible artifacts.  Also, given the enormous amount of music in the
> world, there will always be several tracks that naturally won't
> compress right.
>
> There's no question that these tracks exist.  The question is always:
> what's the likelihood that one of those tracks is in my collection?
The general consensus seems to be that rock and pop at the higher bit
rates are tough for almost anyone to tell a difference while classical
is not the best candidate for mp3 if you have a critical ear.

--
Nonreality

-IF THE RULE YOU FOLLOWED BROUGHT YOU TO THIS, OF WHAT USE IS THE RULE.-

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality