morris_minor;442796 Wrote:
> Two things strike me as being really important: use the best quality
> source components you can afford
Definitely. The best transfers start with good analogue playback. Stuff
lost at this stage can't be recovered in software.

Something else I'd add: clean the LP properly. Ideally use a vacuum
device such as a Nitty Gritty, VPI or Moth (although given their cost I
appreciate this isn't practical for many people). I'd say if you're
planning to transfer more than 100 LPs or so, a vacuum record cleaner is
a worthwhile investment. Otherwise do the best you can with brushes,
cleaning solutions, and LOTS of distilled water for rinsing.

morris_minor;442796 Wrote:
> and when making the initial recording set the levels so the signal peaks
> just under 0db. If it's consistently over you'll get a "loudness wars"
> type result
It's not that it shouldn't consistently go over: you should NEVER allow
the recording level to exceed 0dB. Clipping just isn't acceptable. Don't
let it happen.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A