cliveb;442768 Wrote:
> Any particular reason why? The signal that comes off even the finest
> quality LP pressed on heavyweight virgin vinyl has a dynamic range of no
> more than 70dB, and that's on a good day with a following wind.

This statement oversimplifies the situation.

For some actual measurements, see
http://www.audioholics.com/education/audio-formats-technology/dynamic-comparison-of-lps-vs-cds-part-4/dynamic-comparison-of-lps-vs-cds-part-4-page-2

My personal tests with LP ripping and bit depth showed that the
difference between 16 and 24 bits was easily audible. (And no, my tests
weren't double blind).

Regards,
Kim

--
krochat

------
Acourate -> Inguz DSP -> SB3 -> GW Labs DSP (96kHz upsampler) -> Apogee
Big Ben -> TacT RCS 2.2X -> 2x TacT S2150 -> Vandersteen 3a Signature +
TacT W210