JezA;443049 Wrote:
> cliveb - did you do a DBT of your transporter or ATC100s before buying
> them? I am intrigued to know how you did it, especially in the case of
> the speakers.
No, of course I didn't. While I'm in the camp which believes that the
only way to tell if there is a *genuine* difference in sound is to do a
DBT, I'm not the type who thinks this is the only valid way to audition
equipment.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that you (JezA) are the sort who
revels in a bit of stirring things up to see what transpires. You often
lob in the odd disparaging comment without really contributing much
that's constructive.

But in case you're genuinely interested in how I went about choosing
the ATCs, here's what happened:
A friend who was in the HiFi retail business at the time had a pair of
SCM100As, and they impressed me. Having contacts like that is useful,
and he arranged for me to accompany him on a visit to the ATC factory.
While there I briefly spoke to Billy Woodman, who impressed me with his
no-nonsense engineering approach. Later in the day I auditioned active
50s and 100s (and a pair of passive 20s) at Ashley James' home (Ashley
was ATC's sales director at the time). As it happened, the 50s sounded a
little more "agile" and possibly more detailed than the 100s, but the
latter had this sense of weight and authority that I preferred. So
that's what I bought. All this auditioning was sighted, of course. This
was 16 years ago, and I've never regretted buying the ATCs for one
moment.

And the Transporter? I bought it because I wanted a digital preamp with
remote control and balanced outputs. It was cheap for such a device. The
only place I heard it before buying was at a HiFi show (where you can't
make any sensible conclusions about sound). I expected it to sound a
little bit better than the SB2 I had at the time, but was pleasantly
surprised at how much better it was. Sighted, of course, so I could
easily be deluding myself. That good enough for you?

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A