I'm going to go out on a limb here with some vast generalities!

My opinion is that how you get the bits from the computer wirelessly to
the DAC is a fairly benign digital process without much if anything to
worry about in terms of "sound quality" issues.

When you start the D/A process is where the rubber meets the road! I'm
not a big fan of SPDIF (coax and optical) but that is my bias. Other
folks have no problems with it. I personally dont want my 1's and 0's
converted to SPDIF so that my DAC can handle it. I2S is supposed to be
better, but it is difficult to handle, and it is only designed for very
short runs, not in cable lengths. USB is another option - not crazy
about that either (although asyncronous seems decent - Wavelength DAC).
Firewire might be better - jury is still out.

Where does that leave us? The transporter takes care of it without
dealing with the above issues. For me - I sleep better at night. It's
not the final word though - I would like to hear a SB going SPIF to a
Berkley Alpha DAC! But then we are talking $5K for the Alpa! Dream on!

--
earwaxer

Waxer

Transporter