ralphpnj wrote:
> I don't mean to be a pain in the neck, but just how exactly can the
> S/PDIF output be "better" since if the device (whether the device is the
> Classic or the Receiver or the Touch) is acting only as a digital
> pass-through and the bits (the digital signal) are received exactly has
> they were sent out from the server
[snip]
> Of course other than the fact that the Touch supports and thereby
> passes along high resolution files. The differences in the DACs I
> clearly understand but not so the differences in the S/PDIF outputs.

The DAC has nothing to do with SPDIF output, the signal is sent out the
SPDIF output before it goes to the DAC.

What you seem to be missing is that SPDIF needs to be clocked, and there
is nothing in the TCP/IP stream that tells how to do that. So a smarter
device could do a better job.

Note, I have no insight into what is in the Touch from an engineering
standpoint, but unlike prior "slim" devices, its a real computer with
lots of ability to do additional stuff.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/