kphinney;498089 Wrote:
> I'm a tad unsure about the above.  If an unattenuated Transporter is
> hooked directly to the amp and the amp's volume is set such that the
> loudest volume on the TP is within comfort range isn't that the same as
> attenuating the TP?
>
> This is how I had mine for the longest time.  The volume on my amp (no
> remote control, old tubes) was set to about 60% which was comfortable
> since the unattenuated TP and my phono were at approximately the same
> volume.   This allowed me to utilize the TP as a pre for both the
> digital stream as well as the CD-T.
>
> Granted a preamp would allow me to level the line ins and outs but I
> prefer a short and unimpeded signal path.
>
> (Since moving my TP into a system with no phono (& remote volume on the
> amp) I have attenuated it and locked the digital outputs to 100%.)

Most power amps don't have level controls on them... hence the need for
either attenuation or a pre-amp.

If you have a power amp with level controls, then yes that's fine.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio